Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Now that I've finished with my essay and application, I've been enjoying the peace and calm of these summer days. I undertook the monumental task of going through the boxes under my bed and sorting through them. I found several old school notebooks (which were quite helpful in putting together my transcript... apparently I was quite a meticulous record-keeper in 9th grade), and bits and pieces of old papers which were just taking up space.

I also found several old journals and stories, which were extraordinarily embarrassing to look at. I've burned my old writings in the past, and I was tempted to do so again, but I decided to be noble and think of my descendants. Those old journals and stories are tucked away in a chest, and now I'm wondering if I'll be grateful for it myself when I'm old and grey.

I had the time this afternoon to do some fiction writing, for the first time in several months. It was only a short story, hastily scribbled and not very good, but hopefully I'll get back into the swing of things eventually... Liam will be very happy if I have something to present for our next story meeting.

Reading-wise, I just finished Escape from Scepticism by Christopher Derrick. I wish I'd read it when I was a freshman in high school. I generally try to write up a decent review of a book when I finish it, but many of the thoughts I would present were part of my TAC application essay, and I'm still recovering from that process (I wonder if writing a book for publication is anything like it: proof-reading, writing and re-writing, re-writing once again, revising, editing, and polishing it until you feel fairly confident that it's right).

I'm currently reading Plato's Republic, and I'm not far enough along to comment, though I can say it isn't quite what I was expecting... but since I wasn't entirely positive of what to expect, that doesn't surprise me.

Also on the bedside table is Wisdom and Innocence by Joseph Pearce. I just finished the chapter dealing with Chesterton's courtship and marriage, and I was on the verge of tears. In a society where women are objectified and marriage is demeaned, reading about his pure and utter devotion to his wife was extraordinarily moving. Chesterton not only has a way of making a girl smile, making her see a truth, and teaching her about joy and wonder, but he also really makes her suddenly feel like a being of grace and dignity. God bless him, and all men like him.

No comments: