Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Great Books

In a post at the Young Ladies Christian Fellowship today, Natalie mentioned the reading she's been doing recently... Plato, Virgil, Augustine, Dante... the very names send excited thrills through me!

I confess to being completely addicted to and obsessed with the Great Books. The world as we know it today was shaped by the thoughts of those towering figures. In the Great Books you find some of the profoundest, and craziest, ideas that you'll ever encounter. There's nothing else like them.

I've been reading Plutarch's Lives, and have become immersed in the histories of those ancient Greeks and Romans.

Next week my mother and I are going to start reading Plato's Republic, reading two books a week, discussing as we go, and finishing up in a little over a month. I can't tell you how excited I am!

If you're so inclined to answer... what are some of your particular favorite Great Books? How do you feel about them personally? How relevant do you think they are to the modern world? Any other thoughts?

No comments: