Tuesday, January 01, 2008

At the beginning of the year

I spent New Year's Eve in the most delightful fashion. I lent our copy of The Great Escape to some friends last month, but I found myself missing in desperately, and so checked it out of the library to watch with my eldest brother, who hasn't seen it in several years. I curled up with the five-year-old of the family, who shares my great love for the film, and listened to his various ramblings on... Danny this and Danny that.

The movie ended fifteen minutes after midnight, and I felt a thrill of excitement to think that it was 2008, and a little thrill of sorrow to think that 2007 was gone forever, and who knows what might have gone with it.

The new year has arrived, and traditionally one makes their resolutions. I'm afraid I don't really have any... I'm afraid I've never really had any. New Year's inspires me with ideas more than resolutions, but more than anything when a new year comes I think in terms of books. What will my reading list of 2008 look like?

I've been wandering about the house this morning going through the shelves, taking what looks interesting to hide away in my room for several weeks. I've been reading Churchill's History of the English-Speaking People, but now I can't seem to find the first volume. I have a nice little stack next to me consisting of Plutarch's Lives, On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius, Wallace's Ben-Hur which I suddenly realised I had never read, and a book by Scott.

Downstairs I have a little pile with some lovely old volumes of Dante, Chesterton's The Everlasting Man, and Belloc's Europe and the Faith, the last of which I never finished reading last year.

I've been referencing my mother's reading plan to make sure I don't secret away anything she was intending to read.

And I've been going over Love2Learn's reading list for further inspiration.

And now I've got to get back to the search for the History of the English-Speaking People.

No comments: