Wednesday, December 26, 2007

St. Stephen

Christmas is over in the minds of many, but we Catholics still have a little over a week to celebrate and rejoice.

I went out for a little walk in the woods with my camera in hand, with a great wish to see beautiful things and try to grow more accomplished at capturing them on film. And it was beautiful indeed.



There's something breathtaking about an evening walk in a snowy wood. My favourite moment in C.S. Lewis' Narnia books is when Lucy steps through the wardrobe into that other world, because she stepped into a forest of snow. For that moment of wonder, of clearness, and of magic, the snow-covered trees were perfect.




In the quiet of the evening it's very easy to appreciate the beauty of life, and to thank God for it. Even more so during the Christmas season, when we are thanking God for His other great gift... the gift of His Son, of a life after death.

It's not only very easy to appreciate life, but to fall passionately in love with it.

But today is the feast of St. Stephen, the first martyr of the Church. One day I will die; perhaps I will be blessed enough to die for Christ as St. Stephen did. However my death comes, the more I love life the more courageous I must be.... courageous in the way Chesterton described it: "Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of a readiness to die."

Life is beautiful, and though I do not wish to part with it, I mustn't mind when the time comes. If I serve God as best I may, after this life comes the gift of His Son... an eternity with Him.


1 comment:

Ria said...

Beautiful pictures, beautiful reflection... Bravo!