Thursday, October 04, 2007

St. Francis of Assisi

Today is the feast of another of my patron saints... St. Francis of Assisi.

I've certainly had a time explaining to some people why I'm Francis-with-an-i and not Frances-with-an-e. They can't understand why, as a female, I don't have the feminine form of the name. I certainly wouldn't have had any objections to being Frances-with-an-e, but Francis-with-an-i made a lot of sense. In general, the Catholics seem to get it, when they consider for a moment. They consider my other name patron, and then they see where St. Francis of Assisi fits in.

I've been blessed to have such two special saints as patrons. In August, I wrote up a lengthier post on St. Clare, and made some mention of religious vocations in general. However, I'm afraid I have nothing to say about St. Francis. Last month I began to read St. Francis of Assisi by Chesterton, and I've had one passage going through my mind again and again ever since. Before I read it, I'm sure I could have prattled on endlessly about St. Francis, but at the present I find that nothing I could say could be more beautiful and richer in imagery than what Chesterton said:

While it was yet twilight a figure appeared silently and suddenly on a little hill above the city, dark against the fading darkness. For it was the end of a long and stern night, a night of vigil, not unvisited by stars. He stood with his hands lifted, as in so many statues and pictures, and about him was a burst of birds singing; and behind him was the break of day.


St. Francis of Assisi, pray for us!

No comments: