Saturday, September 08, 2007

The Nativity of Mary


Today is the Feast of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary. It's also the fiftieth wedding anniversary of a very dear couple at my church. The lady of the couple has a very deep devotion to Mary, and was one of the greatest inspirations to me when I was a little thing. She and her husband are renewing their vows at this evening's Mass, and have asked me to sing Schubert's Ave Maria just prior to Mass in honour of the Blessed Virgin.

That's the very classic concert piece, and I've been uncertain about my voice since a dreadful cold and cough I had a couple weeks ago. I'll also have no accompaniment, and I'll be singing it in front of all her relatives who are coming for the occasion. Briefly put, I'm nearly scared to death!

I'd appreciate it if anyone who stops by here today would ask the Blessed Virgin to help me remember that while I should do my best it isn't the end of the world if I make a mistake here or there, and do say a prayer for this sweet couple, who are such an example of holy living and a holy marriage.

Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

No comments: