Wednesday, September 12, 2007

J.H. Fabre

The school year has begun, the courses are all laid out, and in addition to my own studying I'll also be teaching some Latin and Natural History. The first is easy; all we need is a Henle First Year. The second took a bit more planning. When I took Natural History my studies were based off of the MoDG syllabus, but I didn't follow it strictly.

I don't want to follow it strictly for teaching, either. Actually, one of the exciting things about teaching the subject is the opportunity to come up with my own ideas, work them into some form of a consistent course, and learn a lot about how to homeschool in general.

As far as insects go, we're completely set. Last week brought four new arrivals to our house... books by Fabre, and all of them almost as delightful to look at as they are to read. You see, they're of the old class, the kind of books that are slightly brittle at the outer edges of the paper, and the kind that smell so sweet.

There's The Life of the Caterpillar, which is from 1925; The Mason-Bees, from about the same time; Social Life in the Insect World, from 1918; and Fabre's Book of Insects from 1937.

Fabre's Book of Insects is my favourite of the four. It's big and solid, with nice large print... and it has the most beautiful illustrations within.

No comments: