Thursday, September 27, 2007

Gilbert! -- Ramblings on the Subject

Over the past couple of weeks I've been watching the various Chesterton-related blogs with increasingly acute agony. One after another, they joyfully proclaimed that they'd received their copy of Gilbert! And I was still waiting... and waiting... and waiting.

But today the long wait ended, and our copy of Gilbert! arrived. I've been buried in it most of the afternoon. I read The Man Who Was Thursday for the first time just this spring (it should have been much sooner), and I'm enjoying all the related material contained in the magazine.

Particularly delightful, though, is the summary of the conference, and the pictures from the event. We were all excited to see the picture of Ria of the Chesterteens blog (whom I might have the pleasure of meeting in the spring!), and, really, it was nice to be able to see all the pictures and begin to put some faces to names.

Of course the perusal the article was a bittersweet experience. It looked like a glorious three days, a glorious three days which I was not present for. I regret that, but I spent that weekend in Ireland. Dublin, to be precise. I had a simply awful ear infection, but on that Saturday I went to a Mass which the Lord Mayor also attended, and at which the Dubliners played and a choir from Italy sang most beautifully.

Earlier that day I'd gone for a stroll to gape at the Gate Theatre. And this summary of my day in Dublin is merely a long-winded way of bringing attention to an interesting Man Who Was Thursday tidbit. For those of you who don't know it, Orson Welles performed at the Gate for a time, which I believe I spoke about a few months back. And he wrote an adaption of The Man Who Was Thursday for the radio.

One item of particular interest to me in the Gilbert! magazine was the note that Manalive is, indeed, on its way to film. I'd read about it on Mark Shea's blog, but either because I thought it was too good to be true, or because he sounded like he was joking, well, I thought he was joking. But it is true, and, as I ardently love Manalive, I'm positively thrilled.

At that will be a lesson to me. I should have known that nothing is too good to be true. Catholicism is, after all, true.

No comments: