Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Angels at Our Lady of the Angels

I just can't help but love the dear things. Their setting in a cathedral I find most inappropriate, but in themselves they're adorable.

I've always loved bats... I've always considered them rather grotesque mice on wings. And these angels never fail to remind me of bats. If they're ever removed from the cathedral, I'd be thrilled to give them a home.

Let me add that I'm entirely in earnest, with no trace of sarcasm. I don't like the thought of these angels in a Catholic cathedral, or even just a small Catholic church, but, like I said, the angels are adorable (if you're fond of bats).

I like the one above the best, as it looks just like it's in that famous en guarde position. Their designer, DeMoss, said he wanted them to convey whimsical qualities. I find the notion of a little fencing bat extremely whimsical.

Interestingly enough, while I always thought those great big wings looked like bat-wings, DeMoss' intent was to have them reflect light, because "he does not believe 'angels need wings to fly.'"

How true it is! The line is so famous that I hardly think I need to write it, but: "Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly."

1 comment:

lissla lissar said...

And "Satan fell by the force of gravity".

:)