Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Maltese Falcon, of all things

I've always been a great fan of old movies, particularly if they're in black-and-white. I understand that not everyone shares my love for the atmosphere black-and-white creates, though I don't understand exactly why not. It doesn't quite make sense to me, yet I realise that such is the case. The majority of people in the world are very happy with the films of nowadays being filmed in colour.

I was under the impression, however, that everyone understood that black-and-white films were filmed as black-and-white films, and therefore much is lost when they're colourised (similarily, Gone with the Wind, for instance, can't simply be transfered to black-and-white, even if I do prefer those shadow-y tints... it was filmed as a color movie).

The example I always use is The Maltese Falcon. So much of the atmosphere would be lost. Even if it were filmed with color as the intention it wouldn't have quite the same feel... filmed as black-and-white and colourised, it would be simply awful! And I always believed that everybody understood this.

I was wrong.

If this attitude is the prevalent one, I'm going to be hurrying to get my black-and-white copies before it's too late.

3 comments:

Love2Learn Mom said...

I'm with you! Can you even imagine how awful a colorized version of Casablanca would be?

Mary-Therese said...

Particularly the last scene (and more specifically the last shot) of the film... the lighting is simply perfect, and a transfer to colour would ruin one of the most famous moments in cinematic history.

Anita Moore said...

Amen: I always HATED colorizing -- especially when it makes all the characters look like they've got terminal gingivitis.

I also hate reformatting films to make them fit a television screen. Give me letterbox any day of the week.

P.S. Anybody who took the tints to The Big Sleep would deserve to be drop-kicked.