Friday, April 20, 2007

April Reading

On her blog, my mother put a list of the books she has read and the book she intends to read before the spring is over. I'm going to follow her example, just to give me a concrete plan to follow. My list for April

  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  • Heretics by G.K. Chesterton
  • Europe and the Faith by Hilaire Belloc
There's not much of April left, but two of them I'm already part-way through, and now that I don't have any sewing that simply must be finished, I can spend most of my weekends reading.

The two Bronte books I've previously read, but only once and several years ago, and there's a vast difference in the ways a 14-year-old and a 17-year-old will comprehend. There's much philosophical pondering to be done over both.

And, by the way... being a few chapters from the end of Jane Eyre I wonder not only why, but how my peers can find it boring. It's more thrilling than thrillers. Even as I type, my algebra book and Jane Eyre sit side by side, and I can hardly bear the thought of turning to the former first.

All I hope is that they don't find me boring. After all, I was not only raised on the Bronte books, but on Shakespeare as well.

What do they teach them in these schools? And, more to the point, in what cruel manner do they torture them with these classics, that the sight of Jane Eyre is repulsive to them, so they can say naught but: "Jane Eyre? I read that for school.... it was boring!"

Some time ago I took it upon myself to always stick up for the classic books and the old black-and-white films... the summits of the two arts. It's an uphill battle so far. I can only imagine what it will be like when I add music to the list...

3 comments:

lissla lissar said...

Jane Eyre is NOT boring! Jane Eyre is swoony gothic Victorian melodrama and romance! Of course, I never had to read it in school. English class can generally kill any novel.

Nurumaiel said...

It's rather baffling. They must do awful things to them in those English classes. How can anyone read of the strange ways of 'Grace Poole,' the attack on Mason, and such without becoming completely lost in the story?

Pride and Prejudice I can understand a bit better. If you're accustomed to soap operas you might find the exchanges between Lizzy and Darcy rather dull. "They just sit about and talk," I've been told. Rather a blunt way of putting it, but when you whittle it all down, they do sit about and talk quite a bit. A mind not used to the classics could easily find it dull.

But Jane Eyre? When you whittle it down, you still have a mad woman roaming about in the night, setting fires and tearing up wedding veils, marriages that are abruptly halted, and all manner of exciting things.

Yes, it does baffle me!

And might I add, thank goodness for you and all the S&S ladies! It was so wonderful to find some kindred spirits at last.

lissla lissar said...

It is a lovely community at S&S, isn't it?

Heretics is good, but I didn't think it was as good as Orthodoxy. Of course, Orthodoxy is my absolute favourite of all his books. I've really got to read The Man Who Was Thursday soon.